[game_preservation] Kotaku: Videogame History MuseumKickstarter short on funds

Christian Bartsch cb at softpres.org
Tue Aug 23 08:08:02 EDT 2011

I don't know if I should say something because everyone will call my opinion biased... But what sense does it make to put game boxes on the shelves when the content (bits & bytes) is rotting away? I actually have seen so many "museums" all over the world (mainly judging by websites), but only very few actually care about the contents of their assets. Some of them actually look like huge collections that grew beyond something that can be handled privately, but I often miss the professional approach to preserve what was meant to be seen by the user (=the program).

We have developed preservation technology for about a decade now and I am really curious how the actual contents are being processed and analysed. I am not trying to upset anyone here, but if there's another tech available for e.g. floppy disk preservation, I'd really like to see and learn from it.

This is not meant to undermine efforts or discourage anyone. But I wonder if the majority actually knows how digital preservation works. Again, apologies for being so direct...

--
Christian Bartsch
The Software Preservation Society