[game_preservation] Kotaku: Videogame History MuseumKickstarter short on funds

Christian Bartsch | softpres.org cb at softpres.org
Wed Aug 24 08:03:53 EDT 2011

On 24 Aug 2011, at 00:41, Vincent Joguin wrote:

> http://www.oldskool.org/disk2fdi

> Has been available for almost a decade and has been used for over 5

> years for professional preservation of floppy disks. The associated

> FDI format is able to accurately store all information from a floppy,

> and is supported by a number of emulators.

I would like quote a post by you made to the Software Collectors list
(SWcollect on Google) on the 4th of August 2011 ("Re: [SWcollect] So,
"that" Akalabeth..."):

> Unfortunately, no analysis tool exists for FDI files, and this is

> indeed the strong point of the CAPS/SPS solution, although more

> information can be derived from an FDI.

I always look at things from two perspectives: data ingestion and
preservation. I can accept people doing this for their own private
collection, but not analysing data ingested and checking for
authenticity and integrity to me feels grossly negligent in a
professional environment meant to deal with preservation. If you don't
know an asset is good, what will you do when you find out two decades later?

Again, I can understand that casual user going after disk2fdi for
budgetary reasons, but I feel preservation needs to be done right. This
would - to my understanding - include storing data as it was meant to be
written (which only can be done after analysation). Otherwise you can't
write it back to a disk (to e.g. create a clone for use in an
exhibition) or simulate the effects certain protections have in emulation.

I would like to add that this is nothing personal, and also not meant as
an attack on your tech. I just feel the word "preservation" is being
used inflationary recently.

--
Christian Bartsch
The Software Preservation Society