[game_preservation] Is Saving Video Game History A Waste Of Money? This Senator Thinks So

Matthew Kirschenbaum mkirschenbaum at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 19:38:34 EST 2011

Patrick Crogan's new book, Gameplay Mode: War Simulation,
Technoculture, from U. Minnesota Press, does an excellent job of
situating computer games as an outgrowth of the defense industry,
something toward which Coburn and his ilk are presumably favorably
disposed. (Henry Lowood and Tim Lenoir have done similar work, along
with others.) Point being, that would be an interesting curveball to
throw back should someone get the opportunity. Matt

On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 7:33 PM, Alex Handy <alex at themade.org> wrote:

> Videogames were invented in America. Defunding this grant is unpatriotic.

> On Dec 22, 2011 4:10 PM, "Devin Monnens" <dmonnens at gmail.com> wrote:

>> http://www.theonion.com/articles/gop-completely-fixes-economy-by-canceling-funding,19897/

>> I left my $0.02 in the comments. Can't let Ian Bogost do all the work! I

>> plugged the White Paper, too! Maybe people will pay attention if they

>> realize there's more they can do than just say 'Microsoft and Sony should

>> pay for this!!!' Which, as we know, accomplishes nothing.

>> On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 5:01 PM, Andrew Armstrong <andrew at aarmstrong.org>

>> wrote:

>>> Wow, only ~$100,000 ? Thats like £65,000, peanuts!

>>> Sad that such a small amount of money is lambasted. I suppose arts,

>>> museums and research are easy political targets though.

>>> Andrew