[game_preservation] Fwd: Second Part of Game Preservation article now online at Gamasutra‏‏

Devin Monnens dmonnens at gmail.com
Sat Feb 12 13:58:31 EST 2011

Andersen's article brings up some interesting points. I think what I wanted
to hear more of was a discussion on preservation and archiving practices at
game companies. Obviously, some of these companies would not be willing to
state publicly what they do to archive their games, but I believe there
might be enough such that we could help paint a picture that can be useful
to other companies. Smaller companies would likely require a separate set of
techniques due to smaller budget.

Backup and preservation milestones seems to be one of the main techniques.
I'm not sure about external storage, particularly for smaller companies; it
would be very expensive to maintain and then you also have the problem of
keeping everything in one geographical location.

By the way, is Andersen on the SIG list?