[game_preservation] Fwd: Second Part of Game Preservation article now online at Gamasutra‏‏

Henry Lowood lowood at stanford.edu
Fri Feb 11 16:28:33 EST 2011

All, fyi. Henry

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Second Part of Game Preservation article now online at
Gamasutra‏‏
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 15:22:26 +0900
From: John Andersen <gamerep at hotmail.com>
To: John Andersen <gamerep at hotmail.com>

I'm happy to inform you that the second part of my game preservation
article, Where Games Go To Sleep: The Game Preservation Crisis (Parts 2
of 3), was just published online this morning on Gamasutra. This part
of the article profiles the video game museums and academic archives (in
the USA and UK) that are working to preserve a wide array of video game
artifacts. I would really like to spread word about these museums and
academic archives profiled in this part of the article, they are doing
some amazing work. I also hope that this article will help bring these
museums, archives and the game industry closer in promoting further
discussion on game preservation.

My own failed attempt at trying to open a game museum in Japan is also
briefly mentioned in this part of the article. The story of a how
planned government funded museum in Japan featuring video games that was
later cancelled (////////Kokuritsu/////// Media Geijutsu Sogo Senta/) is
also covered.

The second part also explores how video games are vulnerable to natural
disasters and how one underground storage facility in Kansas
could help to preserve game production materials from such disasters.

Here is the link to the article for your viewing:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/6283/where_games_go_to_sleep_the_game_.php

The third and final part of the article is scheduled to go online at
Gamasutra before the Game Developers Conference in two weeks. The
complete answers that video game developers and publishers provided
(mentioned briefly in part one) will be presented in full as an appendix
as promised in this third and final part. However, after having a
discussion with my editor they will also be presented in a condensed,
compiled and more entertaining layout for readers. If a developer or
publisher has any questions or concerns regarding how these answers will
be presented in the third part, then please feel free to contact me.

Once again, I'd like to sincerely thank you for your participation,
please let me know if you have any questions. Readers will be posting
comments at the bottom of the article. Please share this article on
your own blogs, Twitter feeds and with your fellow colleagues.

Sincerely,
John D. Andersen
Portland, Maine USA
Cell Phone #: (207)653-3348