[game_preservation] Where Games Go To Sleep: The Game Preservation Crisis

Devin Monnens dmonnens at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 13:33:38 EST 2011

This seems to indicate a problem both inside and outside of preservation:
current preservation efforts (and the need for more of them) are not
well-known.

Several parts to this:

First, people aren't aware that preservation is an issue.
Second, people who are interested in preservation don't know what
preservation groups/projects are currently out there
Third, there doesn't seem to be as much connection between preservation
institutes as there should be

As a result, lots of people are doing work on game preservation, but they're
not solidly networked. And people who might be able to help out with
preservation or cry out for companies to work on archiving their own
materials (or actually be in a position to help implement these efforts)
don't know about it.

Of course, it could also be Mr. Andersen didn't do all his homework, but
this article has a LOT of detailed information and insider knowledge on game
archives within companies (particularly using Andersen's Japanese
connections to get inside traditionally closed companies). It may not have
simply been relevant to the article, but I sort of felt the SIG served as an
authority on the subject, so it's kind of odd not to mention us...