[game_preservation] Where Games Go To Sleep: The Game Preservation Crisis

Martin Goldberg wgungfu at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 17:58:59 EST 2011

Well, from the response I got back from him it looks like he simply
cared about what he felt was more interesting to read rather than an
across the board article. Per my query on why much more notable Atari
related archivers were left out, including Curt how directly works
with the current Atari in that manner:

"I felt it's all really been covered before."

I'm sorry, but if the point of your article is to call people's
attention to a little known facet/plight of the industry - operative
words being little known - I don't see how you can assume your readers
have been exposed to some aspect of it already. Otherwise it wouldn't
be little known.

I also feel that if as he said, he recounted the Sotheby's and cabinet
purchase to simply illustrate the plight of companies not caring about
archiving, the message IMHO was lost. The list style he used of going
through one company after another read as more of a dry listing of
random examples of the type of archiving that is or is going on vs.
the single impassioned message he's claiming it's intended as.

If this SIG is left out in the future installment, especially when
members were interviewed, I'm thinking it might be worthwhile for this
SIG to do some PR (outside of the regular paper presentation
involvement) with Devin's goals below in mind. That includes possibly
writing a more inclusive and cohesive article than the one being
presented so far.

Marty