[game_preservation] Should Wikipedia Be Responsible for Gaming's History?

Henry Lowood lowood at stanford.edu
Fri Jan 28 18:23:20 EST 2011

Marty,

No doubt for some of the sources mentioned, the discussion there was
longer than the original sources cited.

On the other hand, where else can you get sentences like,
"I applaud *Sexy**Kick* for his excellent research into Gensis numbers
presented here." [sic]

That discussion is taking place in a alternate universe as far as
history (as a discipline) is concerned.

Henry

On 1/28/2011 10:49 AM, Martin Goldberg wrote:

> Thought people would like to see the type of exhausting (rather than

> exhaustive) argumentative process that goes on at Wikipedia,

> especially when certain personalities there want to ram something

> through. There is an argument at the video game project there

> regarding console generations. The camp trying to ram it through

> wants to do away with Wikipedia's use of generations and replace it

> with their vision.

> For those brave enough to read through the entire thing, you'll notice

> the entire process follows the same robotic and dogmatic "sources

> dictate content" non-critical thinking approach. At one point even

> arguing that a source that uses the exact same generations as

> Wikipedia is not the same because they left out Dreamcast from the

> listing of one generation.

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:WikiProject_Video_games#Are_the_7_generations_fiction.3F_If_not.2C_where_are_the_sources.3F

> Marty

Curator for History of Science& Technology Collections;
Film& Media Collections
HRG, Green Library, 557 Escondido Mall
Stanford University Libraries, Stanford CA 94305-6004