[game_preservation] hard copy of original Oregon Trail mainframe code?

Devin Monnens dmonnens at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 00:38:42 EST 2011

The short answer is there were three versions of the code. The first was
from (December) 1971 and was played in the classroom. Rawitsch stated in an
interview with me that he copied the code onto the MECC system in 1974. In
1976, Rawitsch modified the game using more accurate data as part of his
graduate research, but the overall flow of the game reflects the original.
This code was later published in Creative Computing in 1978. The 1973 date
is incorrect and appears to be the result of a misquote in David Ahl's BASIC
Computer Adventures book where he writes it as being made 1972-1973 (a lot
of Ahl's information is actually incorrect though it was written to the best
of his knowledge, so you should take whatever he writes with a grain of
salt). Ahl republished the game there as Westward Ho! with revisions. The
code from Creative Computing (with one correction - an added ") is below. I
don't know which flavor of BASIC this runs in.

http://deserthat.wordpress.com/2010/11/07/oregon-trail-ver-3-basic-3-1-1978/

I'll e-mail Don to see if he knows what happened to the original printout,
but my guess is it found its way into the MECC archives. Now if anyone knows
what actually happened to the MECC computer program archives, I'd love to
hear that! They had what must have been the largest collection of
educational games at the time.