[game_preservation] Digital Press kickstarting a videogame history museum

Jim Leonard trixter at oldskool.org
Fri Jul 8 01:29:36 EDT 2011

On 7/8/2011 12:02 AM, Devin Monnens wrote:

> The heart of the matter is that the data stored in digital media is

> cultural and informative and therefore should be preserved - I don't

> think this could be argued against. Whether that media is preserved by a

> museum, archive, or library to me has little importance - if a museum

> contains a historical science book, isn't the information contained

> within that book as important as the structural integrity of the book?

Yes, but this doesn't completely apply to something like
copy-protection. Using personal computer games as an example, many
copy-protection schemes are part of the digital work -- they were
written by the same author(s) and are integrated into the work -- but
there is a nearly universal attitude amongst digital archivists that the
copy-protection is just a cumbersome wrapper to be discarded. This
upsets me, because there is definitely historical relevance in
protection schemes.

For example, if you grab an archive of Dunzhin for the IBM PC, you can
play the game, disassemble it, document it, and so on. But what you
have is an archive with parts of the program removed or changed from the
original (the protection). Would it be interesting to learn that the
copy-protection for Dunzhin was not only highly unconventional and
sophisticated for its time (it directly bit-banged the disk controller,
whereas most PC games in 1982 used BIOS routines), which illustrates the
skill and thought processes of Randall Don Masteller, who ported the
game to PC? And that, despite running on an 8088/8086 processor, had to
operate within the confines of Z80 assembly because the game itself was
running in a quasi-Z80 emulator? I think that's *highly* interesting
and relevant.

That's just one example. Paraphrasing badly, I would argue that the
medium is definitely part of the message, so I worry when people start
to say that whether the original diskette is still functional isn't a
concern. If the box is historically relevant -- as any owner of a
Starcross saucer will certainly argue -- then the rest of the
distribution surely must be.

> Two years ago, I went to the Umekoji Steam Locomotive Museum in Kyoto.

> Umekoji maintains several steam engines in working order. The engines

> are run daily and are well-maintained, though there are some engines

> that are not in working order. Having engines running as demonstration

> models helps visitors understand the power of steam locomotives and get

> a taste of what the experience of riding in one was like. This would

> simply not be possible if the machines were static. There is a certain

> power to having hardware that is operational because it provides

> cultural context.

This is an excellent comparison, and a good complement to what I was
trying to convey in my previous paragraphs.

> With the content of digital media as both a vehicle of culture and its

> operation a cultural context, and the same ideas as applicable to other

> museum objects as well, the argument for museums concerning themselves

> with functionality becomes stronger and remains relevant.

Well said.
--
Jim Leonard (trixter at oldskool.org) http://www.oldskool.org/
Check out some trippy MindCandy at http://www.mindcandydvd.com/