[game_preservation] History of Videogames in an hour?

Henry Lowood lowood at stanford.edu
Sun Jul 31 17:55:31 EDT 2011

Devin,

I doubt that you will find an essay that covers this topic in 15-20
pages, unless you are receptive to a thematic treatment, as opposed to
comprehensive coverage (basically impossible in that format). I've
tried to this (i.e., a thematic treatment) once:

"A Brief Biography of Computer Games," in: Playing Computer Games:
Motives, Responses, and Consequences, eds. Peter Vorderer and Jennings
Bryant. (Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, 2006): 25-41.

It's readable in an hour, and it might spur discussion, but it's
anything but comprehensive or chronologically organized.

As for video, I still think a thematic treatment would be best. I'm not
sure what the many video chronologies give you (other than screenshots
and captures) that a timeline does not, and I'm not a huge fan of
timelines either. Jason Scott's "Get Lamp" would be excellent. Longer
than an hour, and not comprehensive (just about text adventures),
however, I think it would get a lot of discussion going.

Henry

On 7/30/2011 3:33 PM, Devin Monnens wrote:

> Hi guys,

> It's that time of year. Cleaning up my syllabus for the Fall 2011

> semester. I still have that same old problem of finding a good article

> or video that will cover the history of videogames pretty decently and

> in a relatively short span of time. So far, I've yet to find anything

> really condensed outside of Wikipedia, and I'd rather not use them.

> I may direct my students back to Dot Eaters. It's pretty detailed, but

> doesn't cover as much history as I'd like. I'm staying away from

> timelines because they don't seem to communicate that much. However,

> Steve Kent has a 40-page timeline that seems pretty decent - just no

> images or illustrations.

> I am also considering videos. There's some history of videogames

> videos on YouTube, but most of them contain lots of cursing

> (IrateGamer's seemed like a good start though). This clip is a nice,

> short timeline, though it doesn't show a lot of the significance of

> the games and who made them.

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yn4JRsmyy4

> Any thoughts on a good, short history?

> -Devin

> www.deserthat.com <http://www.deserthat.com>

Curator, History of Science& Technology Collections;
Film& Media Collections
HRG, Green Library, 557 Escondido Mall
650-723-4602; lowood at stanford.edu
http://www.stanford.edu/~lowood