[game_preservation] Descriptive terms for Video Games

Henry Lowood lowood at stanford.edu
Thu Jun 9 19:15:42 EDT 2011

Richard,

One suggestion: You might want to check out some of the Stanford records
for digital games in our OPAC. Anybody can view them. However, I
suspect that we are doing pretty much what you are doing.

And some thoughts: As you know, works of fiction are generally treated a
bit different from non-fiction works, as far as monographic cataloging.
Subject cataloging is often non-existent for works of fiction, which may
be a shame, but scholars have learned to live with that fact. There are
other works produced by scholars that provide some help with respect to
themes or other aspects of (fictional) literature and films. I'll
confess that I'm not wild about the idea of burning in genre terms in a
cataloging record, because ideas about genres and how to apply them
change. Other than genre, what kind of subject analysis were you
thinking of providing? For the original Call of Duty, for example,
would you include the term for World War II, etc., as would be the
practice say for a monograph about the same subjects? Or would you
treat it more like a novel?

Here is how our catalogers cataloged it:

UPC: 047875323797
Publisher #: 32379 : Activision
Title: Call of duty [electronic resource] / Activision and
Infinity Ward.
Imprint: Santa Monica, Calif. : Activision, c2003.
Physical Description: 2 CD-ROMs : sd., col. ; 4 3/4 in + 1 instruction
manual (44 p. : ill. ; 18 cm.).
Note: Title from disc label.
battles including D-Day, the Russian Charge at
Stalingrad, and the Battle of Berlin. Together with
your squad, play through 24 epic missions on four
interconnected campaigns, or go online for Axis versus
Allies team-based multiplayer action.
Note: Rated T for Teen.
Note: System requirements : English version of Windows
98/ME/2000/XP; 3D hardware accelerator card required -
100% DirectX 9.0b compatible 32 MB hardware
accelerator w/full T&L capabilities video card and
latest drivers; 600 MHz processor or higher for
systems with Windows 98/ME; 700 MHz processor for
systems with Windows 2000/XP; 128 MB RAM; 8X CD-ROM
drive; 1.4 GB uncompressed hard disk space (plus 400
MB for Windows 98/ME swap file, 600 MB for Windows
2000/XP swap file); 100% DirectX 9.0b compatible 16
bit sound card and latest drivers; 100% Windows
98/ME/2000/XP compatible mouse, keyboard and latest
drivers; DirectX 9.0b (included).
Note: System requirements for Multiplayer mode: Internet
(TCP/IP) and LAN (TCP/IP) play supported; Internet
play requires 56 Kbps (or faster) modem and latest
drivers; LAN play requires network interface card and
latest drivers.
Note: System requirements : Supported chipsets: ATI Radeon
cards, nVidia GeForce chipsets, Matrox Parhelia.
Note: Some 3D accelerator cards with the chipsets
listed here may not be compatible with the 3D
acceleration features utilized by Call of Duty.
Please refer to your hardware manufacturer for 100%
DirectX 9.0b compatibility.