[game_preservation] Descriptive terms for Video Games

Jan Baart jan_baart at yahoo.de
Tue Jun 14 14:34:55 EDT 2011

Hello Richard,

I guess I have to be the one disagreeing a bit with what others said,
although not completely. First let me explain that I have been looking
at genre classifications for a very long time and have recently had the
"pleasure" of doing my own for a database project. Due to this I've read
almost every paper or article on the matter and have found most of them
to be quite inconcise and contradictory.

I'm with everyone in that a multi-tag approach is the most modern and
flexible way to handle genre classification. What I disagree with is the
idea that a traditional genre classification approach (as in, a game
"belongs" to a specific genre) is obsolete and not useful. This idea
seems to stem from the inadequate nature of all existing classifications
and the general mess publications, especially the big websites, make out
of it. Let me thus adress a few typical areas of criticism towards a
strict genre system:

"Games can belong to multiple genres!"

My answer to this is, yes and no. Of course a game can be both a
Strategy game and an Action game. But does that mean a genre
classification is not possible, or does it mean the chosen genres are to
broad and not well-defined?

"Creating more specific genres results in a lot of genres which looks
ridiculous!"

Yes, having 100,200 or even 500 specific genres looks ridiculous. But of
what relevance is that. All that matters is how useful the taxonomy is.
If you have 50k games in your system then even at 500 genres you still
end up with groups of 100 similar games. Are 100 existing games of the
same specific gameplay worth their own genre? Ask any Tower Defense fan ;)

"What about oddball games like Pirates!"

Well, there'll always be some of those. Or games that define a new genre
where you'll have to wait for more games like it to make calling it a
genre worthwile. But, does having a few games you can't properly
classify (stuffing them into "Other" or similar catch-all categories)
having a working taxonomy for the rest worthless?

"Placing a game into one genre is not needed in times of internet
databases with tagclouds etc."

The problem here is twofold. Firstly, even if that tag-based database is
perfectly designed and tagged, that does not mean it allows you using
the tags in a search as you had hoped. Secondly, tags don't have
priorities, nor do they have a value. Simple example: An action game
with RPG elements (Actraiser?) gets tags "action" and "rpg" and a RPG
with real-time battles (Secret of Mana?) gets tags "rpg" and "action".
Great, if that's all you've got there's now no way to distinguish them
in your database. That's not useful for a user at all.

"Modern games blend too many genres and defy classification"

Do they? Yes, lots of genres have visible influences on a multitude of
games outside of their core genre, like RPG elements in FPS. But does
having stats in an FPS not make it an FPS anymore? Hardly. And if there
are indeed games using an even mix of various existing genres, do they
maybe define their own new genre by this? Again, how does this make a
taxonomy less useful, especially if you're looking at a huge number of
historic games not affected by new occurences?

Now that I've responded (admittedly, no full answers but rather "food
for thought") to a few common complaints about genres, let me show you
an example of why I think a clear two-dimensional taxonomy is still useful.

Let's assume I want to find games similar to Final Fantasy Tactics, an
pretty easy example. Obviously, I use the biggest game database on the
internet, MobyGames. Here's the entry for the game:
http://www.mobygames.com/game/final-fantasy-tactics

Now, we have two genres and one perspective tagged, as well as a
turn-based mechanics tag. Even if I filter for all that in the database,
I still end up with games like Heroes of Might & Magic or Master of
Magic. Now, admittedly, those while not being quite the same are at
least similar. But then again, it was a very specific type of a game, an
easy example. Try doing the same for StarFox and you'll end up with
Comanche, Battlefield 1942, Falcon 4.0, LEGO Star Wars, Spyro the Dragon
and Tribes 2, partly due to their tagging and partly due to the fact
that apparently you can't filter for two "non-sport" tags at the same
time. Though none of the tags that StarFox has make it apparent in any
way that this is actually an "on rails" type of game anyways, so there's
no way filtering using the tags it has would ever "get rid" of games
that are not on rails, thus never resulting in a selection of actually
similar games.

Again, this does not mean that we shouldn't pursue approaches like
multi-category tags (setting, perspective, concepts, ...). I'm all for
it. But in my opinion there are good reasons not to abandon a
traditional genre taxonomy. Which is why at our database website we use
both. We have tags (not visible yet but they're there) but we also have
an editorially tagged genre. One per game. This might seem outdated, but
in the end it serves our users.

Sorry for the long and controversial read. I'm sure a lot of you
probably won't agree with a lot of what I said but there you go ;)

Jan

P.S.: If you're interested in our current taxonomy I can provide you an
internal document that gives game examples. There are plans to make this
public along with definitions and write-ups exploring the specific
genres, but that'll still be a while!