[game_preservation] Descriptive terms for Video Games

Jim Leonard trixter at oldskool.org
Sat Jun 11 17:04:49 EDT 2011

On 6/11/2011 3:29 PM, Andrew Perti wrote:

> It's my contention that we have to completely redefine categorization

> techniques for video games. Many games span several genres and placing

> any given game under a single subject heading by way of a "personal

> judgment call" is quite limiting. Using a single genre may have been

> necessary for physical cataloging and library systems to account for

> research and accessibility. We are now in a digital era and I feel as

> though a multifaceted approach is something that we all need to explore.

This was MobyGames' intention when it was formed. It was pretty obvious
by the late 1990s that most types of games were headed towards
"first-person "something"" so simple categories weren't enough.

I do feel that games can be broken down into their primary core content
-- adventure, action, strategy, etc. I think the people trying to
categorize games make the mistake of thinking that a game can only be
one type of core category, when it clearly can be multiple at the same time.

--
Jim Leonard (trixter at oldskool.org) http://www.oldskool.org/
Check out some trippy MindCandy at http://www.mindcandydvd.com/