[game_preservation] Descriptive terms for Video Games

Rowan Kaiser rowankaiser at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 01:01:57 EDT 2011

Well, there are two aspects to discussing genre which have come up here, I
think. The first is genre as a classification tool, which theoretically
gives people the opportunity to determine the essential characteristics of a
game in a word or three or ten, which is, I think, the aim of the initial
question here.

On the other hand, there's genre as a social construction, which, regardless
of accuracy (how is *Tetris *a *puzzle* game? It's an abstract action game!)
is used and will be used. This, Jim, I think is where you had problems with
your RPG classification. You may consider it inaccurate, but the social
construction is popular shorthand. It is how gamers understand games, I
think.

Rowan