[game_preservation] Descriptive terms for Video Games

Rowan Kaiser rowankaiser at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 05:14:46 EDT 2011

I mean, I guess you could make the case that Tetris *looks *kind of like
putting a puzzle together, which might be where the genre got its name...but
in general, I think the concept of "puzzle" means something that you sit and
think about. A game like *The Fool's Errand*, that's a puzzle game.
*Tetris*seems to play better when you get into a Zen-like,
non-thinking zone. If you
have to puzzle out what to do next, you're probably about to lose! Still,
it's part of that labeled genre and I accept that, even if I think it's
kinda silly.

As for the second part of your statement, which is more interesting and
relevant, I think you could do a pretty comprehensive labeling system if you
base it around three categories: Gameplay Genre, Setting, and Perspective,
in descending order of importance (this system would not look so different
from MobyGames, which is part of why I like MobyGames!)

I think the vast majority of games could be delineated pretty clearly from
this system (Shooter, Science Fiction, First-Person), and even most hybrids
would only need an extra selection or two to make them clear (Action,
Horror, 3rd-person for *Resident Evil*, Action/RPG, Horror, 3rd-person
for *Parasite
Eve*).

Rowan