[game_preservation] Descriptive terms for Video Games

Jan Baart jan_baart at yahoo.de
Wed Jun 15 17:07:45 EDT 2011

(Sending again as prior message was blocked due to size constraints)

On 15.06.2011 20:06, Rowan Kaiser wrote:

> Jan, what is a "Personal Development" game? And I agree

> whole-heartedly about Action-Adventure being necessary. It started as

> a genre hybrid, perhaps, but it's become its own, Zelda-like thing.

These are games which have the goal of teaching the player a real life
skill or certain knowledge. Think of Brain Training, Miracle Piano,
Typing of the Dead, Math Rescue or My Word Coach.

> I actually agree with Andrew about multiplayer, at least in one

> crucial instance, which is the MMRPG. I'm not sure classifying WOW as

> just an RPG is enough - especially if the classification system is

> intended to lead people to games that they play.

Well, in the case of my own taxonomy, MMORPGs are a subgenre of RPGs.
Like I mentioned, we have much more granular subgenres under those more
general genre headings. Yes, a ridiculous amount of subgenres ;)