[game_preservation] Spacewar's 50th; Odyssey's 40th

Devin Monnens dmonnens at gmail.com
Sun Jun 26 20:13:16 EDT 2011

Next year will see the 50th anniversary of Spacewar and the 40th anniversary
of the games industry through the Odyssey and Pong (this November is the
40th anniversary of the first two coin-ops, Computer Space and Galaxy Game).
As this is a momentous occasion, does anyone know if there are any special
events planned to celebrate? There will be a pop culture conference in
Albuquerque next February or March, and the Albuquerque Science Museum has a
working Spacewar (though I'm not sure if it's on an actual PDP-1). As I keep
pushing for game preservation panels at this conference, I hope folks from
here will consider attending or thinking about papers for the panel (I'll
post again once I know the dates).