[game_preservation] Acquisition selection

Andrew Armstrong andrew at aarmstrong.org
Fri May 6 16:38:38 EDT 2011

The National Museum of Computing has a Collections Policy that dictates
mainly a UK focus or of items of importance. It's an internal document
so I'm not sure I can share it with you.

Mostly it's a consensus between the volunteers who run the museum (and
thus collections) as to whether it's a good thing to take or not; space
is a constant issue at the moment, but smaller items if we don't have
them generally we can find a spot for if we don't have one.

Videogame-related items are rarer in our collection mainly due to
incomplete listings of what we have (so we don't request items yet;
we've no specific focus or drive to ask or exhibits to put on or
replacements needed), and the National Videogame Archive, Retro Computer
Museum and The Centre For Computing History doing a lot of console and
game collecting so we send stuff their way sometimes. These three do a
lot more in the UK exhibition wise, eternally grateful although I hope
to improve the situation at TNMoC slowly.

You're also talking about software I presume; one problem with the
preservation of games is some of the mediums are in the stages of
failing. Currently we're setting up a way to transfer media to more safe
storage, and have an archive full of many games; progressively being
sorted now. Software is easier to take since it is easier to dispose of
if there are duplicates or simply rubbish and is more easily checked if
it is working.

Andrew