[game_preservation] Article on game development in Colorado

Devin Monnens dmonnens at gmail.com
Tue May 24 14:19:02 EDT 2011

Hi guys,

I have volunteered to write an article for the IGDA newsletter on game
development in Colorado. The IGDA is profiling all the different chapters, I
think to get a state of the industry. While I already know a little about
what things are like (and the history of the chapter), I wanted to ask each
of the studios in the area what they think and then integrate all this into
the article, as I'd like the article to be as reflective of the group as
possible.

1. What's great about game development in Colorado?
2. What are some of the challenges you face as a Colorado game developer?
3. Anything else you'd like the rest of the IGDA to know.

You can either respond to the list or to me privately (dmonnens at gmail.com).

Thank you!

Here's my responses:

1. Great community, weather and recreational activities; lots of colleges
graduating game development students.
2. Not many large studios so hard to find jobs; as a result, many small
startups. Not much government support for tech sector.
3. We are the longest-running continually meeting body of game developers in
the world (or at least to the best of our knowledge).