[game_preservation] Congratulations to Jon-Paul Dyson and Greg James!!

ting walker tingoes at gmail.com
Sun Nov 6 03:14:05 EST 2011

Hi Devin,

If Greg James is Dr Decapitator then he likes to keep his location and
identity secret.
Dr Decapitator has access to a scanning electron microscope at his place of
work.
I thought this might have been a university and have something to do
with the academics at IGDA.

I first heard about this de-capping method from one on my customers at my
newsagency.
He had developed security protocols for cashless ticketing systems, and was
working on a cashless purse system for small transactions using mobile
phones.
He knew of this method of using a scanning electron miroscope from his
miiltary- intellegence - security background and I believe was using this
method
of decrytion to gain knowledge of the inner workings of mobile phones
for developing security protocols with his work.

He was into retro games and suggested using this method for decrypting
information from security chips on arcade boards.
I put him in touch with the Guru, and this knowledge was how the decapping
project came into being.

In answering your question from what I know arcade board schematics
are useful when threading the hardware components as software.

The person that is emulating and decifering schematics on non rom games pre
1975 is Gregf on the Mame World forums.

I don't have an email address for him.

I'm sure any blueprints and schematics of arcade PCB's are useful to the
mame team.
I contact the Guru at

theguru_999 at hotmail.com

Regards,

Ting.

On Sat, Nov 5, 2011 at 1:06 AM, Devin Monnens <dmonnens at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]

>> Thankyou Greg James for your work with de-capping protection chips and

>> microprocessors.

>> I think this is absolutely invaluable method of presevating old games

>> and gaming systems.

>> I have been sending arcade PCBs to the Guru to be decpped in this manner

>> since I was advised of this method a number of years ago.

>> http://guru.mameworld.info/

>> The Guru has a list of un-dumped arcade protection MCU's and computer

>> components that need to be de-capped here.

>> http://guru.mameworld.info/decap/index.html

>> The list is not 100% complete and I find other needed protection MCU's by

>> referencing PCB's listed on the MAWS website.

>> http://maws.mameworld.info/maws/

>> My most recent contribution was a very rare early Japanese version of

>> Taito Slap Fight with A76 romset.

>> I look forward to contributing more arcade PCBs in future for

>> preservation by this method.

>> There may be some games that IGDA members either own or know the

>> whereabouts of that are needed for preservation by this method.

>> Regards,

>> Ting Walker.

>> On Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 1:21 PM, Devin Monnens <dmonnens at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> The latest issue of Game Developer Magazine has featured the top 50

>>> influential people of the 2010-2011 year among these are Jon-Paul Dyson of

>>> The International Center for the History of Electronic Games and Greg

>>> James, of the Visual 6502 Project (visual6502.org) which was also

>>> featured in Archaeology magazine. Both received awards for Evangelism!

>>> Jon-Paul Dyson

>>> The International Center for the History of Electronic Games (a division

>>> of the Strong Museum of Play in Rochester, New York) is showing a lot of

>>> vision and dedication to preserving the history of our medium. Whereas most

>>> private collections and museums focus on amassing boxed product, the ICHEG

>>> goes beyond that to collect valuable paperwork, documentation, and ephemera.

>>> Thanks to Dyson and his crew, priceless artifacts like Ralph Baer's

>>> handwritten notes, Will Wright's design documents, and the private

>>> collection of Sierra cofounders Ken and Roberta Williams will forever be

>>> accessible to historians. With a recent $500k grant and a 5,000 square foot

>>> play space, that collection is only the beginning.

>>> Greg James

>>> The 6502 CPU powered the games many of us played in our youth. It ran

>>> home computers from Apple, Commodore, Acorn, and Atari. It was the main

>>> brains behind the Atari 2600 console, and was the core of the Nintendo

>>> Entertainment System. It is one of the most popular chips ever designed,

>>> and yet its schematics have been lost to time.

>>> James has taken it upon himself to devise a method for preserving

>>> outdated computer chips on a microscopic level; stripping away the plastic,

>>> taking photographs, and re-creating every little trace in a virtual

>>> environment. It might not mean much to game development now, but his

>>> www.deserthat.com