[game_preservation] Nintendo 3DS trailers

MCENIRY, MATTHEW mceniry at email.sc.edu
Mon Nov 7 18:14:22 EST 2011

I have noticed that the industry is trying to find some way to prevent used game sales as distributors such as GameStop are receiving a large amount of their revenue from these sales. Just from the quarter ending in July 30, 2011 GameStop's used game sales increased by 12% and digital sales increased by 69%.

Recently Capcom implemented a system<http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/35657/Capcom_Resident_Evil_3D_Save_Data_Controversy_Likely_Will_Not_Happen_Again.php> where you could not reset save game data on their game Resident Evil 3D. This has been discontinued from future games due to the uproar over the restriction, but it is showing the boldness of what developers are trying to do to prevent used sales.

DRM on the other hand is probably more hurtful to the business than it is helpful. I know a lot gamers will avoid products who have DRM-like capabilities, one of the recent ones being Diablo III by Blizzard. While it isn't necessarily a third party DRM the restriction of having to be on the Internet to play even single player has some players concerned despite the immense hype surrounding the game. Alternatively some publishers just build their own digital distribution client to cut out the middle man and control their gaming licenses (i.e. EA - Origin, Valve - Steam). There are also digital distributors such as gog.com (Good Old Games) who advertise DRM free games, usually older ones, but they are helping keep older games alive with their efforts.

To end my wall of text a recent story about Lego Universe closing<http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/38401/Lack_Of_Subscribers_Forces_Lego_Universe_Offline.php> caught my eye today. It seems as if even their Free-to-Play model didn't garner enough revenue (through micro-transactions) and the game will be closing as of January 31, 2012. With so much competition within the MMO environment find an effective preservation model for some before they go offline for good due to "failure."

Matt McEniry