[game_preservation] Selecting and preserving video games, both text and context

Jan Baart jan_baart at yahoo.de
Fri Oct 28 10:37:59 EDT 2011

Hello Henry,

can I quickly add a few thoughts that crossed my mind reading your
request? I'm just a student and this isn't really what you were looking
for, but there you go ;)

I find the statement that both are integral to preservation far too
simplified. I'll readily agree that the context is an important aspect
that one has to take into consideration. But I'd differentiate between
certain context aspects to analyse their importance. Here's a few
questions that sprung to mind when faced with your request.

- is is the actual console/computer hardware that is integral to
preservation or is it enough to properly replicate the logic of said
hardware?
- is it really integral to preservation to preserve a specific
controller if I could just use a modern one of the same type? E.g. do I
need a real SNES pad or will any USB pad offering the at least the same
amount of digital buttons, a d-pad and should buttons suffice?
- can I assume that a sprite designer optimised his work for CRT screens
or did he possibly just design it to look as good as possible on paper
(or in his app) and not care about the display used. If both is
possible, what use is there to prefer a CRT over whatever more modern
technology is available (similar topic: aspect ratio optimization with
CGA/EGA games)
- is the context for a certain game a technical necessity (CRT for light
gun games) or "just" an asthetic preference, and do we need to
distinguish between this?
- how integral is 100% accurate visual and audial preservation anyways?
Do slight inaccuracies really hinder our appreciation and analysis of
historic works? Especially considering systems that had no defined
standard anyways. Different Genesis models used different sound chips
resulting in better or worse sound. Is preserving one or the other more
"accurate"? How can we define accuracy of preservation if there is no
ONE original context. Think of PC systems, all running different
hardware even in their day, how do you define accurate there?

Maybe you already give some answers to these in your thesis? Would be a
very interesting read then :)

By the way, film buffs will argue with you that movies have similar
problems. Are a 35mm projection, a dvd on a CRT and a Blu-ray on a
Full-HD Plasma the same thing in terms of viewer perception? ;)

Jan