[game_preservation] Computer Legend and Gaming Pioneer Jack Tramiel Dies at Age 83

Henry Lowood lowood at stanford.edu
Tue Apr 10 14:13:15 EDT 2012

Hi Marty,
Thanks for straightening out that story about an ET-Tramiel connection
-- saved me some typing. ;) Plus you know a lot more about the details.
During the 1980s -- both at Commodore and after -- there was a lot of
negative press about Tramiel. I guess I would summarize the writing as
depicting him as somewhat thuggish as a businessman. Now, I'm not at
all saying these reports were all true, just commenting on the
impression that the press coverage gave. By contrast, the writing since
his death has been quite tame.
Also, perhaps Tramiel was more multi-dimensional than the press reports
of the 1980s suggested (he was often depicted as being obsessive about
his companies and that alone); I believe, for example, that he later
contributed generously to the US Holocaust Museum (he was a Holocaust
survivor).
Anyway, it would be great if you would contribute to a Memorial piece.
Best,
Henry

On 4/10/2012 10:43 AM, Martin Goldberg wrote:

> Andrew and Devin, I'd be happy to help out if you want. I helped with

> the Forbes piece, am the one who broke the story to the media for the

> family in the first place (who I've also been in contact with), and am

> helping several other news outlets with their coverage (including the

> Daily Telegraph from your next of the woods). Also working on a

> followup "Legacy of Jack Tramiel" piece for Forbes with Brian Bagnall

> (author of the Commodore: On the Edge book).

> As I mentioned previously, we were set to interview Jack directly for

> the book (I've been "online" friends with his son Leonard for 11 years

> now) next week when this suddenly happened this past weekend.

> Tremendous loss, but at least he was surrounded by the family when it

> happened.

> On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 9:23 AM, Andrew Armstrong<andrew at aarmstrong.org> wrote:

>> I wasn't going to write a full obituary (I don't know enough about the man

>> myself, I seem to have more UK knowledge now :) ), probably find one someone

>> else has written and ask to borrow it or just link to it. I don't know

>> anyone myself who'd be able to write one up.

>> Andrew

>> On 10/04/2012 14:22, Devin Monnens wrote:

>> No, why don't you do this one, Andrew. I honestly don't know enough on him

>> to write something decent, and I am afraid my views of him are too colored

>> by what I've read in the history books. If somebody can give a balanced

>> memorial, that's what's needed.

>> On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 7:04 AM, Andrew Armstrong<andrew at aarmstrong.org>

>> wrote:

>>> An interesting company, one I need to read more up on. Very significant in

>>> the USA, and reasonably significant over here (although we have several

>>> PET's we have no working ones annoyingly!), so I don't know the whole story.

>>> I will sort out an obituary page next week, unless Devin beats me to it or

>>> anyone else wants to write something up :)

>>> Andrew