[game_preservation] Release date of the Odyssey?

Martin Goldberg wgungfu at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 12:32:16 EDT 2012

On Aug 9, 2012 11:25 AM, "Philippe Dubois, association MO5.COM, Président" <
samurai at mo5.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone !

> How can it be possible for M.Baer, with all the respect i have for him,

not to know the exact date the Odyssey was publicly launch and available in
stores ?

Because he had nothing to do with that. Remember, he was with Sanders.

The Odyssey's launch, distribution, etc. was a Magnavox issue.

What about the date when M.Baer showed up the tennis game to M.Bushnell so
he went into the idea of cloning this as "Pong" ?

He didn't show anything, Magnavox did.

> Best regards,

> -----------

> Cordialement,

> Philippe Dubois, Association MO5.COM, Président

> --

> Maybe we just have different philosophies but I'm going to have to

strongly disagree here. The only thing we know as solid fact right now is
that sometime between May 3 and August 30, the Odyssey was in at least one
store. Saying "by August" is safe, I agree, but I fail to see how saying
the first sale was in August is any safer than saying the first sale was in
July. We just don't know.

> On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 9:02 AM, Bill Loguidice <bill at armchairarcade.com

> wrote:

> August is safest at the moment because the ad is thus far our earliest

proof of a unit physically being in a store. Again, it doesn't mean it was
for sale - it could have been a demo unit - but even if it wasn't
necessarily in stock, it was likely available for order. If we have some
type of earlier proof a unit was in a store, we can revise the estimate.
That's why I personally think August is "safe" and the best available time
period. If someone can dig up earlier availability at a Magnavox dealer,
all the better...

> Bill Loguidice, Managing Director; Armchair Arcade, Inc.

> Authored Books and Film; About me and other ways to get in touch

> On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 11:36 AM, Frank Cifaldi <fcifaldi at gmail.com> wrote:

> Why is August the safest estimate? And do we want a "safe estimate" or do

we want an exact range?

> On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 8:30 AM, Bill Loguidice <bill at armchairarcade.com

> wrote:

> I think right now August is still our safest estimate, though you're

right, it could certainly have been released sooner. Even the ad - which at
least proves the system was at dealers by August - doesn't necessarily mean
it was for SALE in August (it's a relatively modest "come see" - you would
think they would advertise something so "cool" with the TVs and indicate
its actual availability).