[game_preservation] MoMA Game Collection

Henry Lowood lowood at stanford.edu
Thu Dec 6 12:16:26 EST 2012

Devin,

It would have been nice to know more about the preservation strategies
for the various games. For example, I am curious about the ways in
which they would use source code towards that end, how they would
migrate data, and so on. Yes, there is a nice discussion of selection
criteria, so I am sure there will be more information about the project.

Henry

On 12/6/2012 3:46 AM, Devin Monnens wrote:

> I'm sure many of you are aware of this, but I wanted to bring it up

> here because I had a few observations/questions.

> http://www.moma.org/explore/inside_out/2012/11/29/video-games-14-in-the-collection-for-starters

> First, I like how they have selected a series of criteria for which to

> evaluate the games (even though the casual dismissal of 'of course,

> games are art!' was a bit surprising, even for someone who has taught

> a class on it).

> What interests me though is the images they chose, the emphasis on

> source code and original hardware, and technical data for the games.

> Essentially, with Tetris, they show a picture of the Electronika 60

> version, which is really quite surprising. Does this mean the MoMA

> acquired one? And with something like MYST and Another World, are they

> looking at the original release or a re-release? (Especially important

> with Another World since later PC releases added new material.) Is

> anyone here involved with the project who can clarify?

> It's interesting they put a lot of focus on being able to get the

> games to run in the future - hence source code and documentation, as

> well as collection of original hardware. It looks like they are taking

> both methods as possible approaches.

> www.deserthat.com <http://www.deserthat.com>

Curator for History of Science & Technology Collections;
Film & Media Collections
HSSG, Green Library, 557 Escondido Mall
Stanford University Libraries, Stanford CA 94305-6004