[game_preservation] Preserving TTY paper tape

Andrew Armstrong andrew at aarmstrong.org
Wed Feb 8 20:46:37 EST 2012

Oh, BTW, I did check up on this; we do have digital copies of all the
important information where needed, although a lot of random data and
tapes with non-essential programs are not done; just simple volume there
(and said programs and data being really boring I guess!).

It's done through simply reading it in on a tape reader for it onto a
digital format via. I presume serial/COM, since it is usually 6 hole
punch I think just standard ASCII storage is enough, since the various
systems usually build in checks and balances into the stream more or
less. Newer systems which do tape/magnetic tape etc. might even have
terminal input/output to do read/writes of data directly (we do this on
a newer PDP-8 machine). Generally if it can be read in a terminal it can
be digitally captured reasonably easily (although just a tape reader is
enough).

For emulation take this for example; Peter Onion works on our Elliott
803 which uses paper tape, he's written an emulator (and more besides)
and has digital files to run on it so might be a good example.
http://www.peteronion.org.uk/Elliott/ - see the 803B Tape Reader :)

We have the facilities to do more if anyone needs some doing in the UK.
Less so on site, since some good facilities are simply in volunteers own
homes. :)

Andrew