[game_preservation] "Selecting Save on the Games We Make" on Gamasutra & at PAX East

Christian Bartsch | softpres.org cb at softpres.org
Tue Feb 28 17:26:28 EST 2012

Hi Matt,

yes, the new era of games, everything that's being downloaded or just
offered through a service like Steam will be problematic. Especially
with all this DRM coming in the way.

I do disagree for old titles, at least I can't say that this rule
applies unconditionally. It is correct that for some titles you might
have no other choice than picking a pirated copy if no other source is
available. The article also cites blog entry by Jason Scott who coins
the phrase "it's too late". It isn't that bad.The world isn't black and
white, but it helps grabbing people's attention. ;-) But I understand
motivation and dedication to the subject. We're still around, and we're
still ingesting disks and we do have tools, both hardware and software,
to see which state the media is in. That's some retro science, but
there's been no one else, so we developed the technology from scratch.
It's correct it's not going better, but in many cases the very old
titles are in fact better than new ones. That has to do with the better
quality of earlier disks (compare to CD-R media), as well as the fact
that low density media can be easier read these days as there are more
particles forming the information. The last months were very intensive
in regard to reading C64 media and we do have a good success rate
although there are certain brands of disks (often from certain
publishers) that will literally fall apart when reading.

But to come back to the main article... pirated copies can be a last
resort. But one should be aware of the risks these artifacts bring with
them: bad cracks (copy won't work at all or break somewhere in the game
or in the app), digital graffiti (game text altered by crackers to
reflect their names or opinions) and missing initial states (e.g. the
empty house of Little Computer People). We do have technology to store
original mastering data, unaltered, verified. This might be an
alternative people would want to look at. At least they would have the
option to see the game as it was submitted by the author, they could see
the LCP moving into the house for the first time and they would have to
play against the highscores the programmers put there, not some weird
numbers hacked into the game by a cracker.

Best,

Christian Bartsch
The Software Preservation Society
http://www.softpres.org