[game_preservation] Fwd: End of the arcade CRT monitor

Jim Leonard trixter at oldskool.org
Mon Jul 16 15:29:45 EDT 2012

I visited again yesterday and had another opportunity to meet the owner
(especially after I broke the arcade's high score for Track and Field
;-) and he mentioned that he has very strong feelings about arcade
repair and has been replacing LCDs with CRTs where he can find them, and
has also been buying broken cabinets where the CRT is working but little
else is, just to get the CRT. He mentioned that sometimes existing CRTs
can be repaired due to something simple, so some repair is attempted.
Also, he makes a decision on how bad a CRT is before he scraps it --
some burn-in is allowed, some gamma shift is allowed. So the basic
answer to the question is "harvesting". He harvests CRTs whenever he
can. He feels very strongly that the machines were meant to be
experienced with as much original hardware as possible, something I
wholeheartedly endorse.

I asked him about how easy it was to retrofit traditional TV tubes into
arcade cabinets and he said that his experience with doing that was not
very successful. He only seeks out tubes that have been used in an
arcade setting.

Jim Leonard (trixter at oldskool.org) http://www.oldskool.org/
Check out some trippy MindCandy at http://www.mindcandydvd.com/
A child borne of the home computer wars: http://trixter.oldskool.org/