[game_preservation] Fwd: End of the arcade CRT monitor

Devin Monnens dmonnens at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 16:34:27 EDT 2012

Vector is also not something that can be emulated. You can have the
visuals, but you'll never get that same amount of brightness! I always tell
this to my students: you have to see an actual Asteroids machine and play
it to understand what is so important with vector graphics.

With regards to the monitors, I was talking putting filters or something
into the monitor so you're still running off the arcade machine (rather
than MAME), but it looks close enough to a CRT to still work.

I guess the real question here is not so much longevity of the original
hardware (by recycling, making new, or 'faking') or emulation, but
identifying what are the key components of the game/s in question and
ensuring that these properties can be preserved.

For instance, while we have a multicade machine in the office with about a
hundred games on it, I can tell you that playing 1942 on the multicade is
not the same as playing it on the actual hardware due to the placement of
the joystick and the play on the joystick, not even counting how poor the
monitor is on this machine. I think if we want to look at arcade
preservation, just going by a little bit of experience, I think having
players who are experts on the games describe what are the key properties
of the games to a preservationist can help us determine what is important
about a particular machine.