[game_preservation] Fwd: End of the arcade CRT monitor

Henry Lowood lowood at stanford.edu
Wed Jul 18 13:03:53 EDT 2012

Generally speaking, history of technology follows the first option, or
none at all. Working original artifacts of most any historical
technology are not generally available, even to scholars. Recreations,
models, etc., yes, and in a limited number of locations, but working
originals are generally not that accessible, which is one reason why it
is such a treat to experience them. Note that I am not saying that the
artifacts have disappeared, just that working, original models are not
easily accessible.

It is not easy for us to think about the preservation problem with most
digital media and electronic artifacts. First, they are not as old
word. We have digital technologies today that are obsolete for 15-year
olds but remembered (and even still used) by 30-year olds. Also, many
digital artifacts were produced as commodities. This means that many of
them are still around (with some exceptions), which makes it more
difficult to think of their disappearance -- on this topic, btw, see
James Newman's new book.

The point is that it is difficult for us to accept that hardware
preservation is probably not going to happen -- other than at the level
of static artifacts for display (not use) in museums. It is unlikely
that original hardware and media will be the basis for historical
experiences of, say, digital games. That's difficult for us to wrap our
heads around, but it is probably going to be the fact of life in a few
decades. This isn't a death sentence for historians and others
interested in the history of these artifacts. With apologies for making
an academic point here: The idea of experiencing a historical game as
people experienced it originally is kind of a dead end. We experience
it as we experience it. There probably was no single historical
experience of anything like that, etc., etc. Realizing this is a good
thing, because it pushes us to bring in documentation to supplement what
we can experience (say, through emulations) and we can fairly accept the
challenge of re-creating experiences with updated hardware, as long as
we have an informed idea of what we are after -- which is why
documentation is so important.

With these points in mind, I expect that all of the options Devin brings
up will be deployed to some degree, but I expect it is likely that the
re-deployment/re-creation options will eventually be more frequently
used than preservation for use.

An interesting case study for thinking about these issues might be
automobile preservation, as it is carried out say at the REVS Institute
in Florida. This case study would probably lead to a better prognosis
for hardware preservation, because they are doing amazing things with
artifact preservation and documentation, and they are beginning to work
with Stanford researchers to study the "experience" of driving vintage
cars. Just to say that I have an open mind about these things!

Henry

On 7/16/2012 3:03 PM, Devin Monnens wrote:

> [...]

>> of course no rasters, so there's no jaggedness. You might consider

>> investing in a Vectrex for the class to demonstrate that.

>> As for things like multicade, I completely agree. It's a constant

>> argument I've ad with younger generations who's only experience with

>> older arcade games are game roms and collections on modern console.

>> I.E. the commoditization of 'retro games.' Why do they need to play a

>> single game in a dedicated cabinet when they can simply play all the

>> games like that they want in an emulator. My answer is not much

>> different than why some people still prefer their LPs and their

>> packaging over cds and the like, the experience is much different. The

>> cabinet design and control scheme is just as much a part of the

>> experience as the game itself, and in many cases was meant to enhance

>> the experience. Battlezone is just not the same without stepping up to

>> those goggles. Pac-Man's cabinet is instantly recognizable to those in

>> our generation. Space Invaders in it's giant EM cabinet with overlays

>> on the screen is just not the same in an emulator. Then you have

>> completely unique cabinets and control schemes like Wacko, Kozmik

>> Krooz'r, and Tron.

>> What killed a lot of that uniqueness was the adoption of the JAMMA

>> standard in the second half of the 80's. When you have plug and play

>> cabinets and a standard 'joystick with rows of buttons' control

>> scheme, you're not really offering much for the experience over what

>> the home was moving towards. Which is why I don't completely blame the

>> younger generations for not getting it, they're in generations where

>> the coin-op industry's importance is all but gone now even the

>> platform is becoming less important (iOS, Android device over

>> consoles).

>> I take heart in getting these people to come to the Midwest Gaming

>> Cassic every year and walk away with wide eyes at the experience. We

>> have a living museum of about 300 coin-ops every year (think it was

>> over that this past year.) Video, pinball, and traditional EM. The

>> experience for them is far different than what they expected, even

>> just being in a more traditional arcade setting than what passes for

>> 'arcdes' now.

>> On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 3:34 PM, Devin Monnens <dmonnens at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Vector is also not something that can be emulated. You can have the

>> visuals,

>>> but you'll never get that same amount of brightness! I always tell this

>>> my students: you have to see an actual Asteroids machine and play it to

>>> understand what is so important with vector graphics.

>>> With regards to the monitors, I was talking putting filters or something

>>> into the monitor so you're still running off the arcade machine (rather

>> than

>>> MAME), but it looks close enough to a CRT to still work.

>>> I guess the real question here is not so much longevity of the original

>>> hardware (by recycling, making new, or 'faking') or emulation, but

>>> identifying what are the key components of the game/s in question and

>>> ensuring that these properties can be preserved.

>>> For instance, while we have a multicade machine in the office with about

>>> hundred games on it, I can tell you that playing 1942 on the multicade is

>>> not the same as playing it on the actual hardware due to the placement of

>>> the joystick and the play on the joystick, not even counting how poor the

>>> monitor is on this machine. I think if we want to look at arcade

>>> preservation, just going by a little bit of experience, I think having

>>> players who are experts on the games describe what are the key

>> properties of

>>> the games to a preservationist can help us determine what is important

>> about

>>> a particular machine.

>> this

>> many

>> owner

>> also

>> repaired

>> into

>> not

>> the

>> http://www.oldskool.org/

>> http://www.mindcandydvd.com/

>> http://trixter.oldskool.org/

>>> --

>>> Devin Monnens

>>> www.deserthat.com

>>> The sleep of Reason produces monsters.

>>> game_preservation mailing list

>>> game_preservation at igda.org

>> --

>> Marty

Curator for History of Science & Technology Collections;
Film & Media Collections
HSSG, Green Library, 557 Escondido Mall
Stanford University Libraries, Stanford CA 94305-6004