[game_preservation] Fwd: End of the arcade CRT monitor

John Andersen gamerep at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 21 13:55:40 EDT 2012

With the options Devin has presented, this does bring up a couple of questions:

Is there any website or database out there that catalogues the most common CRT manufacturers that made monitors for arcade cabinets from the 70's, 80's and 90's? It would be kind of cool to look up your favorite arcade game and see what specific manufacturer (with model #) of CRT it uses. While looking at the manuals on KLOV is a great reference, I'm wondering if there is a dedicated site to this.

Finally, do we know what blueprints for these CRT's have been collected (if any), and preserved from such CRT manufacturers as Electrohome, Wells-Gardner, etc?

- John Anderen

<

Then doesn't that leave us with only about four options for the long-term?

-Preserve the technology that allows us to recreate the original monitors.
-Recreate the original monitors using some new manufacturing process.
-Create new technology that will accurately replicate the performance of the original monitor.

The fourth is, of course, to continue to recycle and repair old monitors, but without having any figures, it's difficult to tell how long original working/repairable parts will be around. However, I think it might be possible given current data (and interviews with arcades around the country) to guesstimate how long this will be a viable solution.