[game_preservation] More games pulled from virtual console

Devin Monnens dmonnens at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 15:42:08 EST 2012

Yeah, I've read the Technologizer article. The trouble with it is that
piracy does not equal preservation. Piracy is concerned with access and
playability. It attempts to get software out, though this obviously
subverts copyright and developer profit (perceived or otherwise). The focus
on playability means PC emulation tends to be of higher quality than
console emulation (such as Virtual Console or classic collections).
However, piracy is not interested in data authenticity because access and
playability are its focus.

Preservation is interested mostly in authenticity and longevity - making
sure the data is accurate and that it is preserved in a format that will
last well into the next century.

There is some overlap I feel in the playability department (making sure the
games are playable as well as accessible), but I think that articles like
this have the tendency to raise and praise the pirate flag while ignoring
legitimate preservation efforts.