[game_preservation] More games pulled from virtual console

Martin Goldberg wgungfu at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 11:14:56 EST 2012

Same here. It really comes down to the fact that (in my experience) a
lot of the IP holders simply don't have access to any of the original
resources anymore, be it ROMs or game code. So it's far easier for a
developer to grab already dumped (but pirated) ROMs than track down an
original to dump.

On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 10:10 AM, Frank Cifaldi <fcifaldi at gmail.com> wrote:

> I won't name names but I have personal experience with MAME zip files of

> dumps being sent for an official re-release.

> On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 8:40 PM, Jim Leonard <trixter at oldskool.org> wrote:

>> On 11/19/2012 3:42 PM, Andrew Armstrong wrote:

>>> There are also always the whispers that some virtual console games (from

>>> a variety of releases over the years) have actually used pirated roms as

>>> their source, making it an odd roundabout of content delivery...

>> This is more than a rumor; it is sometimes quite common given a particular

>> circle. Many GoG windows releases, which are authorized by the copyright

>> holder, are cracks.

Marty