[game_preservation] More games pulled from virtual console

Andrew Armstrong andrew at aarmstrong.org
Tue Nov 20 11:38:19 EST 2012

Yeah, kinda says a lot about the companies.

Although it is unlike book and film industries who are (either by law or
pressure) forced to provide copies of their works, simply nothing like
that exists for games.

It's a long time coming though, but if I have a chance I'll see how it
is going in the UK in regards to that (I think publishers have to
provide copies of books to the British Library, but nothing the same
exists for other areas yet).

Andrew

On 20/11/2012 16:14, Martin Goldberg wrote:

> Same here. It really comes down to the fact that (in my experience) a

> lot of the IP holders simply don't have access to any of the original

> resources anymore, be it ROMs or game code. So it's far easier for a

> developer to grab already dumped (but pirated) ROMs than track down an

> original to dump.

> On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 10:10 AM, Frank Cifaldi <fcifaldi at gmail.com> wrote:

>> I won't name names but I have personal experience with MAME zip files of

>> dumps being sent for an official re-release.

>>> This is more than a rumor; it is sometimes quite common given a particular

>>> circle. Many GoG windows releases, which are authorized by the copyright