[game_preservation] Internet Archive Starts Archiving Commercial PC Games?

Andrew Perti andrew.perti at thesimm.org
Mon Dec 16 11:57:47 EST 2013

I recently had a lengthy discussion with Jason about this. He's using what he calls the 'back door' method, rather than the legal and conventional 'front door.' A 'let's see what happens' approach.

Preservation, to me, does not necessarily include making something publicly available. This is especially true when you don't hold an original to reference from. I'd call it piracy with rose tinted sunglasses; at the core, mass proliferation of copywritten works (IP) for free. The intent was the same and Underground-Gamer.com was taken down this past year for gross proliferation.

We'll see what spaghetti sticks to the ceiling and which falls. Though the JSMESS stack is impressive, I'm of the opinion that public domain ROMs, shareware, and other freeware may have been a better route to get the conversation going from the start.

Martin Goldberg <wgungfu at gmail.com> wrote:

>There isn't for the Atari related games, so your first assessment is

>most

>likely right.

>On Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 9:01 AM, Benj Edwards

><editor at vintagecomputing.com>wrote:

>> If I had to guess, I think Jason is uploading those commercial game

>CDs to

>> force the issue (i.e. preserve them at all costs, regardless of

>legality),

>> probably with the consideration that legal action against the Archive

>for

>> those old games is unlikely.

>> Or maybe IA does have some agreement cooked up with those games'

>> publishers. But I seriously, seriously doubt it.

>> Benj

>> On 12/15/2013 3:36 PM, Andrew Armstrong wrote:

>>> I wonder who that is ;)

>>> Andrew