[game_preservation] Internet Archive Starts Archiving Commercial PC Games?

Alex Handy alex at themade.org
Mon Dec 16 14:15:41 EST 2013

Problem is most of the stuff he's preserving is damn near impossible to
source ip rights on. 80's game companies have all been sold off a dozen
times, and the companies that still own those rights probably don't even
know they own them..

Ip is a mess right now. I think Jason is doing the right thing. Waiting for
companies to give him permission would basically doom the project to
failure.
On Dec 16, 2013 9:30 AM, "Andrew Perti" <andrew.perti at thesimm.org> wrote:

> I recently had a lengthy discussion with Jason about this. He's using what

> he calls the 'back door' method, rather than the legal and conventional

> 'front door.' A 'let's see what happens' approach.

> Preservation, to me, does not necessarily include making something

> publicly available. This is especially true when you don't hold an original

> to reference from. I'd call it piracy with rose tinted sunglasses; at the

> core, mass proliferation of copywritten works (IP) for free. The intent was

> the same and Underground-Gamer.com was taken down this past year for

> gross proliferation.

> We'll see what spaghetti sticks to the ceiling and which falls. Though the

> JSMESS stack is impressive, I'm of the opinion that public domain ROMs,

> shareware, and other freeware may have been a better route to get the

> conversation going from the start.

> Martin Goldberg <wgungfu at gmail.com> wrote:

>> There isn't for the Atari related games, so your first assessment is most

>> likely right.

>> On Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 9:01 AM, Benj Edwards <

>> editor at vintagecomputing.com> wrote:

>>> If I had to guess, I think Jason is uploading those commercial game CDs

>>> to force the issue (i.e. preserve them at all costs, regardless of

>>> legality), probably with the consideration that legal action against the

>>> Archive for those old games is unlikely.

>>> Or maybe IA does have some agreement cooked up with those games'

>>> publishers. But I seriously, seriously doubt it.

>>> Benj

>>> http://www.benjedwards.com

>>> http://www.vintagecomputing.com