[game_preservation] game conservation at MoMA

Andrew Armstrong andrew at aarmstrong.org
Mon Feb 4 18:30:49 EST 2013

Hi,

Late reply but The National Museum of Computing in the UK is working
slowly on media preservation. We have other software as well as
videogames, but we realise tapes/discs are frankly not going to last :)

Problem is the transcoding of media to something suitable, and we're
also not yet setup with a good disk array and backups of it to be a
"real archive" (this might be fixed soon though); however we do have
digital copies of tapes (yes that old!) which of course include games -
since they are so small we have copies everywhere of them. Real old
school data capture there - serial 0/1 output from tape readers usually!
It is what the machines themselves use to decode tape so it can be input
back in off a laptop easily :)

Definitive lists of places is hard. Apart from the replies here you can
see some of my work from a few years back on the wiki, some is now out
of date (and I need to update it with some I know of) but actually
contacting different places is surprisingly hard in some cases. I will
have to get my ass in gear and work on yearly reports as I did for a few
years; again though contact is hard :)

Andrew