[game_preservation] 1974 Atari memo by Jobs

Martin Goldberg wgungfu at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 12:09:49 EST 2013

On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 10:56 AM, Devin Monnens <dmonnens at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the link, Benj. Well, the article said he was making changes to

> the game. "Improve the functionality and fun" which I assume means

> gameplay.I guess the notebook sheet shows he edited the design of the

> paddles, although it's a little hard for me to tell what he's doing with

> the other jumpers. (Not an engineer by any means.)

You answered your own question there. He was making small hardware
improvements to improve the gameplay. Remember, arcade video games in those
days were engineered, not programmed. You made changes to the game by
modding the hardware. Adding jumpers for say, improving paddle response
would fall under the definition of "improving functionality and fun."

> It's a bit odd though that these papers would be so white after 40 years.

> I guess they don't make paper as acid-free as they used to... Oh well, at

> least we didn't have to pay $27k to read these!!

Much of it was in unopened filing cabinets in offices (i.e. climate
controlled) for a good 30 some years.

> Reading the Steve Jobs biography and Marty's new book at the same time.

> The Breakout payment is interesting. That wasn't covered in either book.

Huh? It's in there. He was given the regular design fee plus the bonus. He
only split the design fee with Woz.

> Actually, we know Jobs received an extra $5000. But what did he actually

> use the money for? I've heard conflicting stories. It was for an 'upcoming

> trip' - which he'd already gone to India, so that wasn't it.

He went on more than one trip to India.

--
Marty