[game_preservation] Ebay auction

Dyson, Jon-Paul jpdyson at thestrong.org
Fri Feb 15 10:20:09 EST 2013

I apologize for the late posting on this, but since we changed our domain name to The Strong a few years ago my posts to the list have not been accepted (I’ve just gone on and tried reregistering again so hopefully this time it will work). I’ve been able to read posts but not comment, which has been frustrating as there have been some great discussions! Melanie, you’re listed as the site moderator on the IGDA web site—if this doesn’t go to the general group could you give me some guidance about how I might correct the problem?

1) Frank, that’s wonderful that you’re purchasing the collection and donating it to LOC!

2) As far as PC Games magazine, ICHEG has quite a few but not a complete run. For the early issues the official title is PCGames (no space) while the later ones have the space in the title. I copied some of the holding information from our online catalog: http://207.67.203.71/S90001/OPAC/Details/Record.aspx?IndexCode=15&TaskCode=70953&HitCount=297&CollectionCode=2&SortDirection=Ascending&CurrentPage=2&CurrentLinkCode=MS90001|21281259|101|115717&SelectionType=0&SearchType=1&BibCode=MS90001|21932642|180|115796
________________________________
(1989) [Spring] ; [Dec.]
________________________________
(1990) [April] ; [Sept./Oct.] ; [Dec.]
________________________________
(1991) [Jan./Feb.-Mar./April] ; [Oct.-Dec.]
________________________________
(1992) [Jan./Feb.] ; [Oct.]
________________________________
(1993) [Jan.-Feb./Mar.] ; [June/July] ; [Oct.-Nov.]
________________________________
(1999) [Jan.-Mar.]
________________________________
+
(1996) [June-Dec.]
________________________________
(1998) [Feb.] ; [April-Dec.]
________________________________
(1999) [Jan.-Mar.]

3) We have an extensive collection of Famitsu magazines, both from Kevin Gifford and from another donor. Unfortunately they’re not yet on our online catalog system, but we hope to catalog them as soon as possible. In general, if you’re searching one of our catalogs (our library catalog or our objects catalog -- http://www.thestrong.org/online-collections/icheg/) and don’t see something don’t assume it’s not in the collection. It may not have been cataloged yet or else the information may not have been migrated yet from an internal database to the web site database. Please feel free to shoot me an email if you’re wondering about a specific item

4) Benj, we would be interested in magazines that might fill gaps in the collection. I’d be happy to discuss that further with you offline if you’re interested.

5) Frank is right that the International Arcade Museum probably has the most extensive collection of coin-op magazines

6) Lastly, I’m not sure if everyone is aware of this but we do offer fellowships for researchers who want to come and do research at The Strong. Applications for those are taken on a rolling basis and awarded three times a year. So perhaps that might help defray the cost of a trip to Rochester!

Lastly, I agree with Henry that this sort of documentation is often as important or more important than the games themselves.

Best,
JP

Jon-Paul C. Dyson, PhD
Director, International Center for the History of Electronic Games
Vice President for Exhibit Research and Development
The Strong<http://www.thestrong.org/>
One Manhattan Square
Rochester, New York 14607 U.S.A.
Tel 585-410-6341