[game_preservation] Game preservation panel at GDC

Henry Lowood lowood at stanford.edu
Fri Feb 22 13:04:27 EST 2013

All,

FYI: The "Caring about Chrono Trigger" panel was accepted for GDC.

*Speaker/s: *Jon-Paul Dyson (The Strong) </speaker/Jon-Paul-Dyson>, John
Sharp (Parsons The New School for Design) </speaker/John-Sharp>, Henry
Lowood (Stanford University Libraries) </speaker/Henry-Lowood> and John
Romero (Loot Drop) </speaker/John-Romero>
*Day / Time / Location: *Thursday 11:30-12:30 Room 308, South Hall
*Track / Duration / Format / Audience Level: *Advocacy / 60-Minute / Panel
*GDC Vault Recording: *TBD
data and the knowledge upon which the industry was built. What is being
done to archive, understand, curate and catalog this culture?
Approaching the problem from four different angles, this panel explores
the importance of preserving games as an art form, recording the game
design and development process, curating and preserving games in a
museum or gallery setting, and capturing the experience of present, past
and dying digital worlds.
*Takeaway: *The preservation of our work as an industry will be
emphasized as critically important, and attendees will understand what
they can do to help maintain our ongoing legacy.

Curator for History of Science & Technology Collections;
Film & Media Collections
HSSG, Green Library, 557 Escondido Mall
Stanford University Libraries, Stanford CA 94305-6004