[game_preservation] game conservation at MoMA

Kristin MacDonough km2580 at nyu.edu
Tue Jan 15 12:08:17 EST 2013

Hello all,

As many members of this listserv are aware, MoMA recently acquired a
selection of video games for exhibition and preservation. For my master’s
thesis, I am researching the conservation side of this acquisition, using *
Portal* as a case study. This appears to be one of the perfect groups to
reach out to for information.

I’m working my way through a variety of documents and resources available
online, such as the PVW Final Report, the How They Got Game project, case
studies from UTexas, the case study on Second Life, and so on. Anything I
can get my hands on regarding the technical aspects of conserving video
games.

Would anyone be willing and able to share additional case studies or
research in this area? I’m interested in how others have conserved
different digital games, what worked, what didn’t, and additional technical
specs anyone is willing to share.

I am also trying to get a definitive list of the museums which are
collecting AND conserving video games. I’m aware many museums are
collecting and exhibiting games, but not necessarily conserving them.

Please feel free to respond on or off list with recommendations, resources,
and insights.

Thank you for your time and I look forward to your replies!

--
Kristin MacDonough
Moving Image Archiving and Preservation