[game_preservation] Preservation SIG's charter/description change?

Martin Goldberg wgungfu at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 12:42:27 EST 2013

I guess that's why I wrote this, because in my mind it should be
formally defined as part of this SIG if it's actually covered under
it. Right now the IGDA-SIG page describes the SIG's purpose as purely
digital preservation (with one slight mention of the word "history"
that could be taken as the "history of digital preservation" vs.
history of the industry).

On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 10:34 AM, Frank Cifaldi <fcifaldi at gmail.com> wrote:

> I always just kind of assumed the "History" part was silent and we were the

> "Game History Preservation SIG"

> On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 8:17 AM, Martin Goldberg <wgungfu at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Wanted to pose something to the group to get everyones thoughts.

>> This SIG is of course dedicated to the digital preservation of games.

>> However, there appears to be an overlap with many of us (archives,

>> museums, etc.) who are also involved in the preservation of the

>> history behind the companies that made/make these games. That involves

>> the preservation of oral (recorded interviews) and written (document

>> preservation) history, among other elements that are also preservable.

>> What my thoughts are, is would it be beneficial to extend the focus of

>> this SIG (and do people even want to?) or start a new sister SIG

>> around this idea?

>> --

>> Marty

Marty