[game_preservation] Fwd: [AMIA-L] Archiving Video Games - Call for Papers

Kristin MacDonough km2580 at nyu.edu
Thu May 2 12:44:10 EDT 2013

Hello all,

The student chapter in my program is hosting this event next fall. Please
share this with colleagues, students, or other interested parties.

Thank you!

best,
kristin

____________________________________

*The AMIA Student Chapter @ NYU calls for papers for a new event this Fall
2013*

*CALL FOR PAPERS:* *Pressing Restart: Community Discussions on Video Game
Preservation.*

*Important Dates:*

*Workshop Paper Deadline:* June 15, 2013 at 5:00 PM Eastern Standard Time

*Workshop Paper Notifications:* July 31, 2013 at 5:00 PM Eastern Standard
Time

*Workshop Date:* September 28, 2013 from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM Easter Standard
Time New York, location TBA

*Objective of the Workshop:*

When saving a game, what exactly are we saving, and how do we save such a
complicated form of media? Pressing Restart: Community Discussions on Video
Game Preservation is a one-day event dealing with the preservation of video
games. By examining common issues such as hardware obsolescence, emulation
software, selection criteria, and contextual information, this event will
look at the myriad of concerns in this young media format as well as
discuss solutions to ensure long-term access to games beloved by
generations of players. Rather than limiting the discussion to archivists
and preservationists, we plan to invite the whole community to have an open
dialogue around the importance of video games.

*Workshop Topics and Themes:*

· Selection criteria for video games

· Format and software obsolescence

· Migration

· Emulation

· Cataloguing and metadata of video games

· Alternate forms of access

· Defining authenticity in video games

*Submission:*

Papers should be limited to two pages with a summary of the work.

Include your resume.

Submissions must be in PDF format and sent to archiving.videogames at gmail.com

Papers will be selected by the AMIA at New York University Executive
Committee.

After the very successful event last year, *Archiving the Arts*, the AMIA
Student Chapter @ NYU pretends to continue to engage communities in
discussions of current topics involving archiving and preservation. This
association, based in the Moving Image Archiving and Preservation (MIAP)
Program <http://cinema.tisch.nyu.edu/page/miap.html> at the Tisch School of
the Arts, joins an emerging dialogue with professionals, scholars,
students, and other enthusiasts called together to address the most urgent
issues of conservation, preservation, and access in the field.

For more information about the organization, news and previous events visit
our website: http://amiastudentsnyc.com/

Sincerely,

--

Executive Committee, AMIA Student Chapter @ NYU