[game_preservation] Value in archive website?

Jim Leonard trixter at oldskool.org
Wed May 29 14:14:03 EDT 2013

On 5/29/2013 11:55 AM, Scott Sheppard wrote:

> For several years, I've tossed around the idea of creating a website

> platform that blended the benefits of wikipedia style crowdsourcing,

> last.fm <http://last.fm> style community interaction/scrobbling, and

> imdb style credits and profiles, for video games.

Sounds like MobyGames 2.0. (ie. MobyGames + Creative Commons)

From experience, I can tell you that the largest hurdle was determining
a heirarchy (taxonomy) of job functions (and title aliases for
equivalents). There can be five "designers" on a game but they are
"story consultant", "level designer", etc.

The second largest hurdle was developing a verification system. There
are very many people who had only peripheral access to the development
of a title but try to list themselves in the credits as "associate
producer" or similar (aka a former employee trying to bolster their
resume for a job search). Also junior testers trying to pass themselves
off as "Lead QA", etc.

Your hurdles will mostly be a large investment of design, planning,
coordination, and time. The technology/implementation should not only
come much later but will be much easier than the former. Just make sure
that whatever you come up with can always be expanded or altered at any
time, since 1. you will likely want the cooperation of most major
preservation institutions, not all of which will agree on the best
course of actions, and 2. the nature of developing games changes almost
as rapidly as the medium itself does.

I wish you the best of luck -- you will need it :-)
--
Jim Leonard (trixter at oldskool.org)
Check out some trippy MindCandy: http://www.mindcandydvd.com/