[game_preservation] Access Models

Alexander Duryee alexanderduryee at gmail.com
Thu Oct 3 17:09:40 EDT 2013

During the Archiving Video Games* conference (many thanks to NYU MIAP for
the event!), Henry mentioned the lack of established access models for game
archives. This is a growing problem for digital archives across
subjects/collections, and game archives in particular (esp. those
without/avoiding physical artifacts for play).

Hence, I'm curious if there are any access models that organizations are
experimenting with, esp. those not using physical hardware. The concept of
the 'virtual reading room' seems popular, although I've heard a number of
variations on it (laptops with canned emulation environments, for example).

--Alex

*The event was recorded, although I don't know offhand when it'll be online.