[game_preservation] Blog about Video Capture project

Devin Monnens dmonnens at gmail.com
Fri Sep 13 14:32:24 EDT 2013

Thanks for the info, Henry!

Now those are for factory-sealed games. These were kept in a climate
controlled storage facility for a significant period of time as well,
right? It would be interesting to compare these with numbers from other
collections.

I would expect the numbers to be lower as well for games that were already
open, but 3.8% after 25 years seems promising. Unfortunately, if you only
have one copy of the 4%...

On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 12:40 PM, Henry Lowood <lowood at stanford.edu> wrote:

> All,

> Ok, I have some data. Not up to the current date, but specifically with

> regard to 5.25" media in the collection.

> From the first 499 pulls, there were 10 read errors. Of the 490 remaining

> items, 9 were unmountable after imaging. So 19 failures out of 499.

> That's 3.8% as a failure rate for the data pulls.

> Henry

> On 9/11/2013 9:43 AM, Henry Lowood wrote:

>> Andreas,

>> Ok, let me check if we have any data that we are ready to share.

>> Henry

>> On 9/11/2013 12:35 AM, Andreas Lange wrote:

>>> Dear JP and Henry,

>>> thanks for your feedback. I haven't expected numbers now, but would be

>>> still interested in the kind of media, which you have choosen to test and

>>> record. Have you e.g. included magnetic media?

>>> Andreas