[game_preservation] CD/DVD Rot Data

Devin Monnens dmonnens at gmail.com
Fri Jan 10 11:36:49 EST 2014

For anecdotal evidence, early CDs printed with silver dyes are reported to
have suffered bit rot. I also referenced a message board post regarding
some Dreamcast discs failing in the White Paper. From personal experience,
3DO some games (D&D) are transluscent when held up to the light, which
suggests to me the disc will fail soon. However, this is anecdotal - what
is needed is raw data indicating which types of discs. Different types of
dyes and pressing processes would result in discs of varying quality.

There is also something to be said with the way optical disc media is
written on the discs. The Game Preservation Society was working with PC
Engine games. You should contact Joseph Redon (shiroitachi at gmail.com) and
ask him about what sort of data they have on longevity.