[game_preservation] Fwd: [SIGs-Admin] IGDA SIG Meetings @ GDC 2014

Devin Monnens dmonnens at gmail.com
Thu Jan 16 08:52:47 EST 2014

Sounds great, Scott! (Great Scott!!)

You're absolutely the best person to run this without Henry around. I won't
be there as well, but maybe we can try and live broadcast like last year
(AND I will remember to get the times right...)

- *Expected Turnout*: 40-50, many more if gamemakers with archives and
collections are made aware of this meeting

Regarding this, I think it would be a good idea to drum up support by
putting out a statement on different mailing lists and sharing with some
industry contacts. We already know Warren Spector and John and Brenda
Romero, and I am sure they could extend their networks, too. I'd also
mentioned this in the past to Richard Garriott, but he had a meeting during
the session.

We can use the brief description of the session above (including, of
course, time, date, and location - as well as if this will be live
broadcast and/or recorded) and include another brief statement to get
people interested. Something like:

"The IGDA Game Preservation Special Interest Group is encouraging game any
and all game developers to attend this event. As the preservation of
videogames is the future of the games you have already made or are making
now, we would like to have you involved in the conversation. Those of you
who already have personal archives and collections are especially
encouraged to attend. Aside from learning about game preservation
techniques, you will also learn more about why your experiences making
games and the materials you create during the game development process are
so important to understanding the history of our industry."

I would also like to put on the table a discussion on best practices for
game developers to follow regarding preservation techniques they can do in
the studio. That was on the mailing list a few months back, but I don't
think it went anywhere.

-Devin