[game_preservation] Suggestions for holographic material preservation?

Henry Lowood lowood at stanford.edu
Mon Oct 20 18:27:30 EDT 2014

Marty,
That's an interesting question and my initial response is, no, I am
unaware of any projects to preserve holograms.  Is it ok with you if I
share this inquiry with a couple of colleagues in our (Stanford's)
Conservation Department?
Henry

On 10/20/2014 3:09 PM, Martin Goldberg wrote:
> Hi all, I have a unique situation and was wondering if anyone has some
> suggestions for not just physically preserving but archiving the
> information stored on holographic sheets?
>
> As some of you know, we have one of only two fully working and
> complete Atari Cosmos units in existence.
>
> http://www.atarimuseum.com/videogames/dedicated/cosmos/cosmos.html
> https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10205220456253673
>
> The holograms are on mylar sheets, which will of course degrade over
> time (and in fact it appears one of them is starting to as the
> hologram is getting difficult to see). They consist of Space Invaders,
> Superman, Outlaw, Destroyer, Asteroids, Road Runner, Football, and
> Basketball.
>
> Really, taking photographic documentation isn't an issue and taking
> steps to preserve the mylar itself I would think would be similar to
> any other form mylar preservation. My biggest concern is the
> holographic info on the sheets. Is anyone aware of any efforts for
> accurately documenting and preserving that? I.E. being able to pull it
> for archiving and reproduction if need be?
>
> Thanks!
>

> --
> Marty

Curator, History of Science & Technology Collections;
    Film & Media Collections
HSSG, Green Library, 557 Escondido Mall
Stanford University Libraries, Stanford CA 94305-6004
650-723-4602; lowood at stanford.edu
http://www.stanford.edu/~lowood